Monday, November 10, 2008

Bringing you up to date...

So since I posted that last entry, I've been knitting a bit, but being at school mostly.


So...what have I been working on?

--The other 2 pairs of socks for camp. I decided on your mama's big fat booties for the "beasts" session, and bayerische socks for the "invaders" session. Only one pair of those got finished, and i'm betting you can guess which pair it was...

--next project was another pair of your mama's, for my mom. not too much to say about these, although i did make them in caron simply soft, because they are slipper socks anywho.

--I'm currently working on a Feathers and Fans throw, using Red Heart in a color called Watercolors. It's pretty, and relatively cheap, and good for knitting I don't really have to concentrate on, as the pattern is easy to follow and memorize.

--This weekend I just finished a scarf and hat for one of my housemates. She has a bright red coat and wanted a hat and scarf to go with it. She chose black, and I used Patons Classic Merino, because that is literally the only wool you can buy in this town.
--The scarf was the Off Set Diamonds Scarf, and turned out pretty well, I think. It was the first time I'd ever blocked anything, and was given a surprise when I discovered that wet yarn still smells like wet sheep! lol. I don't know why I wasn't expecting it to--I guess just the processed nature of it made me think that it would have gotten all the smell out. anyway, here's a pic of the finished scarf:






























--The pattern i used for the hat was Max's Staircase Tam. This was SUCH a quick knit. I've never really been into slouchy hats, but I am so going to make myself a slouchy tam or beret now. so pretty! :)























she really liked both of them, which is good, because i made them into her birthday present ;)


Knitting to come:

--I'm making a Calorimetry for another of my housemates. I made her a hat last year, but she wants something that gives her the option of not messing her hair up/holding back the flyaways while still keeping her ears warm (that was the big selling point, haha).

--My third housemate wants a slouchy hat. I looked up a bunch of patterns on Rav, and showed her pictures, and she decided on the Star Crossed Slouchy Beret. She wants it in pink. Only a problem if it has to be done in wool, but I think with the slouchyness, it'll be alright in acrylic.

--I want a slouchy hat. I originally wanted to make it a Cabled Beret, but now that I've seen the Star Crossed, I may make that instead. I don't know what to make it with, though. I'm thinking wool, and could probably get a nice grey in Patons Classic Merino at Joann's, but another option came up--knitpurlgurl (on Rav and Plurk) saw my Plurk about making myself a slouchy hat, and my lack of wool, and offered up one of her own skeins of Cascade 220, in a heathery sage green, (which is a color and wool I wouldn't mind at all) for free!! I would love it, but I would feel bad about her paying shipping for it--she lives in CA, and I'm in NY...so I'll have to think about it a bit more, but I'm leaning toward the lovely green-ness of it, haha.


So that's what's up.

A funny knit-object note: Today two of my housemates and I went to the store. It's cold and snowy out, so we were all decked out in our wintery warm outdoor outfits. Then one of them goes, "Are we all wearing something Emma's knitted?" It's true, it's true...I like to keep my friends warm. :-P

No comments: