Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Possible Sesame in the Future...

Up until now, I've been doing lots and lots of small projects. I love knitting socks, and I just finished my first pair of Knucks about a half hour ago, but I want to break out and do bigger and more courageous things--I want to make a sweater!

So, I looked around online for a pattern, and came up with three that I want to make. Two from Magknits--Sesame and Basic Black, and one from ohmystars.net--Buttony. I wasn't really sure about how to decide which one to start with, and didn't really have anyone around here to ask, as my knitting guru (aka Mom) is 5 hours away, and I haven't really discussed it with her in detail. So, I decided to see what my fellow knitters from the LiveJournal Knitting! community had to say about it.

It turns out that although Buttony is a relatively easy knit, the pattern is a bit confusing especially if it's a first sweater (better wait 'til I have Mom there to help!).
Not much was said about Basic Black, which doesn't really matter, as that was my least favorite of the trio--it's a little too feminine (I want my first sweater to be something that I wear ALL THE TIME, and something that's really comfy that I can feel comfortable in).
However, I got a lot of input on the Sesame pattern, which is good, because that was my first choice anyway. A bunch of people said that it was an easy knit, that the pattern was clear, and that they were working on theirs or had already made one! In fact, the only negative comment that I got about it was the insane amounts of boring stockinette stitch (which I don't mind that much, because I can multi-task better without having to pay attention to my knitting ;-p).
One user even asked me to put up pictures as soon as I began!

So, I think the general poll of the Knitting! community was that I should totally make Sesame...

The next thing I needed to decide was what yarn to use.
I have been looking on Ravelry, and a lot of people have been using Lion Brand Wool Ease and Cotton Ease. The only thing about this is that although it's not really pricey yarn, I kinda don't want to spend that much on my first ever sweater, just in case, ya know, I mess up big time or something, and don't want to frog for hours. ;-)
A few other people have been using yarn from Knitpicks--mainly Merino Style or Shine Sport. I'm not sure yet whether or not I like the shine part of the Shine Sport, although using that would be way easier cleaning-wise. However, the Merino Style needs to hand washed, which might not be easy to do at school, and it also pills. Oh, the conundrum...


The toughest part of the issue is next: What colors do I make it in?



...and I haven't even discussed buttons yet! :-x

No comments: